Sunday, September 14, 2008

Our New State: Having dinner with a ghost

This week on 'Our New State'

Always excited for something new and interesting to try in Our New State of Oregon, we decided to try a pizza place that is supposedly haunted by a ghost! The pizza place, Old Town Pizza, is near downtown China Town and almost goes unnoticed to those who don't know to look for it. This pizza place was once a hotel called The Merchant Hotel and was built in 1880. During its high time, prostitutes were frequently provided for the guests. And that is where the ghost comes in. Rumor has it that Nina ("Nigh-na") was forced into prostitution at a young age. Missionaries soon convinced Nina to be their inside spy so they could use the information to clean up the neighborhood. In exchange, the missionaries would help her get her freedom. Soon after this deal was made, Nina was found dead in the hotel having been thrown down the elevator shaft. Nina continues to walk the hotel lobby, which is now where guests can eat their pizza. When we got there, we first we sat at a table back where the elevator shaft was located but it got too cold for us (maybe the haunting chill of Nina?) so we moved to a less chilly part of the hotel lobby. While I didn't see any ghosts while we were there, I loved the pizza. I did get rather freaked out in the bathroom though. It was a dark room and lots of mirrors and I was alone! It had that old, turn-of-the-century type of feel, which is always sort of creepy to me anyways. I don't know if Nina had to visit the bathroom at the same time I did, but that bathroom was definitely scary :)
So as for trying out something interesting, this was for sure a fun place. We went with another couple and they apparently do Karaoke. So maybe that'll be the next new and interesting thing we try out in Our New State.

0 comments: