Thursday, April 16, 2009

Plugs in my Puncta

As Devin is progressing in his knowledge of the eye, I have been his practice subject for quite a few things. Mostly I've just had to sit in a chair while he shines a bright light into my eyes and mumbles off his findings with words I am sure he is making up as he goes along. And once he is done checking my eyes and I am sure that I'll be seeing spots for the rest of the night (thanks to the long exposure of a bright light being shone in my eyes), I occasionally get snagged by some other first year optometry student searching for fresh eyes to exam. And I have to say, I love doing it. I love seeing what Devin is learning at school and am glad to see him putting it into practice...and doing an awesome job at it!! I am very proud of him and what he has done his first year, which is almost over! He has been doing so well but he also has plenty of time to spend with me, which I am sooo thankful for. When school first started, I had heard that I would become a widow and that I should get used to not having him around. And while he does spend some time away at school studying and such, he has been so great at balancing his school life and his home life. It is amazing how he does it. Yay for my husband!! Anyways, last night we went to the school and met up with Eric and Tana. After Devin and Eric did some eye exams on me and Tana, Tana mentioned that she was going to get plugs in her puncta. After finding out the purpose of getting plugs put in, I decided (with a little hesitation) that I wanted to try. Apparently plugs in the puncta can help with dry eyes, which I have when I am in Utah. Devin had just learned how to do this in one of his classes and had told me it was a pretty simple procedure. So he put anaesthetics in my eyes and plugged away. I have to say, it wasn't that bad even though I get kind of squeamish with those sort of things. I tried watching Eric put a plug in Tana's eye, but I started feeling a bit light headed and had to turn away. I'm a wimp, I know. I'd put a picture here to show you, but as I was looking at the pictures on the Internet I just couldn't take it so you'll have to look that up yourself if you are interested in what it looks like. I haven't noticed a difference yet and the plugs will disintegrate after a couple of days so I'm not expecting to notice a huge difference, but now I can brag and say that my puncta are plugged. :) And really, who wouldn't want to brag about that?!!

P.S. I love friends! I have been so blessed to have great friends throughout my life. I was having a crappy day yesterday for reasons I won't go into, and today somebody who is incredibly awesome brought me some flowers. Wow, how awesome is that!? It is amazing how that can just brighten your day! Even though my problems are so insignificant compared to what other's are going through, I'm so thankful Heavenly Father would care enough about mine that he would send somebody along to cheer me up :) Life is good!

8 comments:

MStevenson said...

My husband is going into audiology, and I got to be his practice ears....a little scary... Here stick this in my ear....and I have to act confident.

Anonymous said...

Wow you are trusting the let Devin do that. I just looked it up because I wanted to see what it was and it doesn't look that bad. You probably won't notice a huge difference in Oregon since it is more humid but when you go to Utah you might.

Sorry about your bad day! HUGS!!

Allison said...

Hooray for plugged puncta! I remember when Adam was learning that, but I don't think I let him do it to me!

Ruth Done said...

PLugs in my puncta, plugs in my puncta. I love plugs in my puncta. (I really don't have plugs in my puncta, but I really love to say it!)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen! Yep I am using my new camera but I am still getting to know it.

Matt and Kirsten said...

I sure wish i had plugs in my puncta. Only 8 more days until your birthday!

Katie and Randy said...

So glad you explained what "plugs in the puncta" is. It just sounds weird at first. Good for you for being a willing patient. I used Randy as a patient all the time when I was in school and I was so grateful he let me do pretty much whatever. I'm sure Devin feels the same way. And ya for school almost being out...however we'll miss you guys when you're in Utah. Also, glad to hear you're feeling better!

Gandalf said...

That sounds relatively horrifying, I am not gonna lie. Good thing that Devin is on the ball. :)

Happy Birthday, tomorrow, by the way!!