Tuesday, April 5, 2011

That Time of Year Again

I love this time of year when the sun rains! A beautiful sunny day with scattered rain clouds in the sky. As the rain falls, each drop sparkles. The yellow daffodils are a more brilliant yellow and the grass is almost an artificial green. The tiny buds are starting to pop on the trees revealing soft pink and white blossoms. The sun is blocked by the rain clouds and isn’t fully seen, but you can almost count each ray that is cast as it shines thorough the clouds. The air is fresh and smells like dirt. The murkiness of a (very) long winter is being washed away by the spring showers. 
And it also happens that my birthday is right around the corner. April is my birth month and I celebrate (in my mind) all month long. This year I turn thirty. THIRTY!! The big 3-0. I don’t mind. It’s just a number, right?! Because this year is a milestone, I figured I’d do something fantastic. Every year I like to make sure I let myself celebrate my birthday as it’s the one day of the year that is mine. My Own. Me. Me. Me. And I’m gonna take it. No shame. And because it is a big birthday year, for the next 23 days I’ve decided to do something every day that is special . Out of the ordinary. Extraordinary (side thought: have you ever thought about that word extraordinary? Extra Ordinary. Wouldn’t that be like super ordinary? Not just ordinary but wow, so ordinary it makes me yawn? It’s so ordinary that there’s extra ordinariness? Weird. ) I don’t plan to do anything outlandish or extremely crazy exciting, but just something that I don’t typically do because I’m too busy to do it. Anyways, I have a few ideas as to what I’m going to do  each day. I’ve already done some extraordinary things these first 5 days of April. I’m off to a good start. If you have any suggestions for me, give ‘em too me and I might just use it:

April 1-Ate a CafĂ© Rio oh-so-yummy chicken salad. Yup, I ate one of these even though I’m in Oregon. Thanks mom and dad for making that happen!!
April 2- Ate at a never-before-eaten-at-by-Jen restaurant. We went to Sweet Tomatoes. Yummy!
April 3-Enjoyed the beautiful Oregon Coast
April 4- Watched Letters to Juliet and had a bowl full of my fav ice-cream, Rocky Road
April 5-Picked up my own copy of “Our Best Bites” cookbook. Love it and can’t wait to go through all of the recipes. 
Over the next few days my in-laws will be in town so just by that alone I’ll be doing things out of the ordinary, but I’m still hoping to do something a little special each day.
Other ideas that I’m hoping to do during my birth month:
Give myself a much needed pedicure and manicure, get my hair colored(to cover up those grey hairs), roam through Goodwill for as long as I like without the kids in tow, make a fancy shmancy dinner involving a fancy shmancy table set up,  spray paint a picture frame that I’ve had forever, get family pictures taken, and take a long hot bath.
Well that’s it. Bring on the birthday!

3 comments:

Matt and Kirsten said...

I love your birthday. Just a reminder that mine is one week later. I have no ideas what to do but I know whatever it is will include food. Maybe you could eat french bread and sprouts with a dash of easy cheese. maybe do a craft or make your favorite cookies and eat most of them. Decorate your own room since Nat and I can't make it up to do it for you.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday soon!! Totally celebrate the whole month as you are turning 30 it's even more reason to celebrate big. Miss ya Jen!

Katie and Randy said...

I'm all for celebrating a birthday all month long...especially your 30th!! I can't believe your parents brought cafe rio! That alone makes for a great birthday :)