Sunday, March 27, 2011

Spring Break Plus

Boards are over. Dev took this grueling yucky long test March 15th and 16th. All the studying he has been doing paid off I’m sure. I think I'm as much relieved that it’s over as he is. It has been hard to not have him around for the past few months. 

The week right after his test came SPRING BREAK!!! I  have been looking forward to this for a long time. A very long time. Not only did I get to spend all week with the husband, but we planned a trip to the Redwoods in California with some friends. There’s nothing that could be wrong with that plan! We left for Crescent City, California on Tuesday. The plan was to meet up with our friends, the Johansen’s, and then later the Bolick’s would meet up with all of us. The drive down was GORGEOUS. Wonderful sunny spring weather. Perfect! We stayed in a 3 bedroom house that was better (bigger) than I expected. It was in the forest near a river and one day, I hope to retire to a place similar :)
Here’s Dev and Nate next to the river:
IMG_3469
Here’s my cute little fam on the patio of the house
IMG_3471

The first day we were there, we drove to Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park to go on some hikes to see the big trees. I was a little worried that our spring break would be ruined by the rainy weather, but it couldn’t have been better weather for hiking. We actually got to see some sun!  Here are a few pictures (yes, a few. I could have put a ton more)  highlighting our little hike:
Cameron and Dev
IMG_3494
Me and NathanIMG_3495
The group of us: Johansen’s, Bolicks, Farr’sIMG_3515

The guys: Randy, Devin, Eric
IMG_3527

The gals: Tana, Me, Katie (notice how I pawned off my child for someone else to carry :) Thanks Katie!)
IMG_3537
IMG_3551IMG_3561IMG_3643IMG_3672IMG_3696
It took all I could muster (is that a word?) to stretch from one tree to the other
IMG_3809IMG_3826IMG_3548
The boys did fantastic on the hikes! This was their first trip in a backpack carrier and I think they LOVED it. We were hiking for a few hours and they were so content to sit there and look at all of the trees around them.

IMG_3514IMG_3531

The second day we were there, we got to drive through a tree. Pretty exciting, I know!
IMG_3861
We also stopped to see the 50 ft Paul Bunyan and his big blue ox, Babe.
IMG_3900

It was an extremely fun trip and I would recommend it to anyone! It was a ton of work and I really appreciate now what my parents went through in order to take me and my siblings on all the vacations that we went on as a family.  But it was so worth it! It was also fun to go with some friends that we will soon be1 leaving as we go on Devin’s clinic rotations. I am going to miss them!!!

And as you may have noticed, Nathan is sporting a pretty sweet cranial orthotic. Yup, we’ve started that whole process to get his noggin’ fixed. And I think this picture sums up how he feels about it and how I feel about it:
IMG_3450
He is being a good sport about it though. He is a bit more fussy as he’s trying to get used to it but he’s doing fine. He wants to be held a lot more and his pacifier is working overtime these days. Because he’s still getting used to it while sleeping, he did get to sleep in the big bed with me on our vacation while Devin slept on the couch and I think he thought that was pretty cool:
IMG_3568

So now the spring break is over, the next countdown begins for our move up to Washington (but wait, let’s not forget about the countdown until my 3oth BIRTHDAY! Oh, what to do to celebrate?!). We don’t have a moving date and we don’t have a place to live. We’ve got less than two months. It’s going to fly by.

6 comments:

Seth and Sierra said...

Looks gorgeous down there!! Maybe we'll make a trip there...don't know when, but looks fun! Poor Nathan and poor you! I don't think I'd want to be in that thing either. Got a great smile from him today, though! :)

Doodlecraft said...

So super fun! Happy spring break...yes, muster is a word! And cute little bubbies! :)

Kristina said...

I just adore the picture of Nathan sitting on the ground in the backpack with the hat and pacifier! What fun! That looked like a great trip, I'm glad the weather was nice. That area is just beautiful. thanks for sharing, I loved all your pictures!

Ruth Done said...

I'm still laughing about you stretching between those trees. That is a great picture.

Jan said...

Sounds and looks like you had a blast! By the way, Nathan look adorable with his helmet on!!!

Unknown said...

This looks like so much fun! Oh my word, he is so cute with that little helmet on, I'm sure it's not fun for either of you but he sure is darling! They've already gotten so much bigger. Miss ya Jen. I need to give you a call. I keep saying that and one of these days I'll call and not flake out on you AGAIN!