Sunday, July 22, 2012

Yellowstone 2012

At the end of June, we went on a family trip with the Farr’s to one of my favorite spots, Yellowstone!  Growing up, my family would come here every year and I have yet to get sick of driving through this gorgeous national park.  We stayed outside of West Yellowstone in Island Park, ID in a beautiful cabin.  A cabin with a hot tub.  Here’s the attempt at a family pic in the hot tub with the camera on self timer.  My boys were smiling while I was arranging the camera, but I think I freaked them out as I was trying to run to the hot tub and get in without falling in head first before the timer went off:  IMG_1220

My boys love anything water and they were not disappointed with the hot tub.  They were tall enough that they could walk around the edges on the seats inside of the hot tub, but it was slippery enough that occasionally they would take a plunge into the water going completely under.  They thought it was hilarious. We were circling the hot tub for about and hour!  And for those of you that are stunned,offended, and appalled that we would subject our little children to the hellish temperatures of a hot tub, have no worries and sleep easy tonight.  The water pump on the hot tub was left off overnight and so the water temp was a measly 89 degrees.

We of course had a fire pit, which meant we had smores.  And fires. And fire sticks.  I was on high alert.
IMG_1222
IMG_1228
Cam eating marshmallows
June 20121
IMG_1224
The boys did a bit of exploring, although I am shocked that for the most part they stayed relatively nearby and mostly  just wanted to be held for most of the trip.  I’m hoping this is just a stage they’re going through cuz they are getting too old and HEAVY to be carried around everywhere.  
IMG_1241 
IMG_1243
IMG_1247
The cabin also came equipped with a foosball table and an airhockey table.  I’m convinced we NEED a foosball table.  Fun times were had with this game.  And Cameron is convinced we NEED an air hockey table.  Every morning, he and Nate would wake up and immediately go upstairs.  After a few minutes you would hear *click* as Cameron turned on the air hockey table.  Soon after they would start playing against each other.   Cameron would actually hit the puck and try to make it in the goal across from him.  Nate just liked to grab the puck and stick it in his own goal. 
IMG_1204

IMG_1211IMG_1213

Nate and Cam playing air hockey

And then there was Yellowstone National Park. 
Dev and I  have a tradition every time we go to Yellowstone.  We picked this up because it sort of became a tradition with my family.  There is a small hot spring off to the side of the road next to a river.  It is hot enough that you don’t want to leave your hand in there for more than a few seconds.  There are also small pebbles at the bottom of this hot spring.  Our tradition is to reach in the hot spring and pull out a designated pebble. 
Dev:
IMG_1182
IMG_1183
And as this was Cam and Nate’s first trip to Yellowstone, here’s Cam and Nate doing it for the first (but not last) time.  This tradition will last as long as me and Dev are around :)
IMG_1185
IMG_1187
And once again for those of you that are concerned about the hellish temperatures of this hot spring and the fact that we are subjecting our children to such treatment, while it is hot it isn’t THAT hot.  Goodness.

We saw a lot of wildlife

Buffalo everywhere!
Blocking the road:IMG_3159

IMG_3161

More buffalo blocking the road.  These guys pay not attention to all of the traffic:
IMG_3166
IMG_3168

And we saw a bear right next to the road!
IMG_3173
And elk:
IMG_3177
At the artist paint pots.  Paint pots are hilarious to watch and listen to.
IMG_1190

Hiking to Upper Falls:
IMG_1191

Picture of upper falls.  If you look closely on the right hand side of the falls, you can see some people standing on the top of the cliff right before the water goes over the edge.  That is where me and Cam are standing in the picture above. 

source

Cam was very concerned about the steam in the lower geyser basin:
IMG_1217
Nate just had a good time:
IMG_1218

And of course we had to go to see Old Faithful. 
One day I want to stay at the Old Faithful lodge.  It’s gorgeous and cozy inside:
IMG_3210

Before the eruption:
IMG_3227
And there she blows!
IMG_3230
Nate and Cam didn’t seem to really pay attention.
IMG_3233
And here’s Cam after the eruption wondering when something exciting is going to happen:
IMG_3236

Walking around the Old Faithful loop:
IMG_3239
IMG_3242
Castle Geyser, one of my favorites:
IMG_3244
Up closer to Castle Geyser
IMG_3247

I was worried that a trip through Yellowstone would not go over well with one year olds.  However, thanks to technology they loved being in the car.  They watched movies the entire time we were driving and would occasionally ask to go back to the car during some of our hikes.  While I’d rather my children sit quietly  looking out the window at the beauties of nature instead of being sucked in to a Tom and Jerry movie,  that just doesn’t happen at this age.  And Dev and I were able to enjoy our drive through Yellowstone while looking out the windows at the beauties of nature.

3 comments:

Kristina said...

You made me want to go to Yellowstone this instant! You guys had an amazing trip, and I'm so glad the boys had fun too... who wouldn't with a hot tub and air hockey table? I loved all your pictures by the way!

Rogers Neighborhood said...

You make it look so easy to travel with kids. HOW?? Our Bear Lake trip was a little rocky with the boys. I am free pretty much any day it you want to get together. I don't have your number because Canyon broke my phone and I didn't save any of the numbers to my sim card. So you need to call me okay!!

Ruth Done said...

Oh Tom and Jerry! How my boys love them! Could it be that the entire time they are trying to kill each other????:). That looks like a blast! You amaze me!