Monday, November 24, 2008

It's funny now that I look back on it....

So the time has come for us to move once again. We never stay in one place too long (we don't want those Feds on to us). So this past weekend we gathered up our things a moved a whopping one mile away. We rented a Uhaul to move our furniture and shared it with two other couples that were moving so that helped with $$$. We packed up our things Friday night and had some help from neighbors so we were done pretty early. We gave the Uhaul keys to our other friends and began the long process of hauling over the boxes in our cars. We had already lost one of our apartment keys, but that wasn't too bad of a start. So by about 10:30pm we were exhausted and ready to quit. So we started getting ready for bed and remembered we didn't have a shower curtain. Devin needed to get up early the next morning for a vision screening so we needed a shower curtain. So off we go to the nearest store that has a shower curtain...10 min away. So by the time we get the curtain, bring it back, install, it is close to 11:00. Exhausted. So again we get ready for bed. Just as we are about ready to head to join in that sweet bliss they call sleep, we remembered that Devins clothes (for the screening) were at the other apartment. Doh! So as we were heading out, in our PJs, to go get the stupid clothes, as soon as I shut the door Devin looked at me and asked "You didn't lock it, did you?" Nooooo!! We were locked out of our apartment. Remember how we had lost one of the apartment keys earlier in the day? Well, the key chain with the key we still have is in the apartment, which is now locked. Hmmm...So for the next hour we decided the best thing to do was look for the key we had lost in parking lots, our old apartment, and in our car. Not to be found. So our last place to look was in the Uhaul, which is of course locked and the key to the Uhaul is not in our possession. As we looked into the window of the Uhaul, there it was. The long lost key. So close, yet so far away. So as we debated about what to do next, we came up with sleeping at our old apartment. Hmmm....no blankets, pillows, sheets, blanket, nothign! Just cardboard boxes. No good. So the next idea we came up with was to find a cop and see if he could use his nifty cop training and unlock the Uhaul for us. They told me to call a tow truck or a lock smith. No good, that would have cost a fortune at 12:30am. So our third idea was to just go knock on our friends door and get the Uhaul key from them. Sure we would wake them up, but we would get into our apartment. Now, you all are thinking that this is the logical thing to do. However, at 12:30 my exhausted brain was being lame and we both decided that option was out of the question (I kicked myself later when I realized what an obvious solution that would have been). So instead, we decided to go to a hotel for the night. Don't judge us. Anyone could have found themselves in that same situation :) So we found ourselves sleeping in a cheap, simple, curry-smelling hotel. Better than cardboard boxes, I'd say. So the next morning we went and got the Uhaul key, unlocked the cursed thing, got our apartment key and made it home. And that was the end of our bad day.....oh wait, no it wasn't. Dev left for his screening and I stayed at home waiting for the Comcast guy to come set up our internet. So I locked the door (like I do anytime I am alone by myself) and went about putting our stuff way. So at about 10, the Comcast guy knocked on the door. I go to open the door for the nice gentleman and it won't open. I tried locking it and unlocking it but the door would not open. So I went to the window, took off the screen and yelled at the Comcast guy to come get my keys so he could try to unlock the door from the outside. That didn't work. I was locked IN my house! The comcast guy tried to help me out by telling me to take the doorknob apart. That was a lame idea. So finally I went out the window to my managers. No on answered. I didn't have a phone, and I didn't know his phone number. The Comcast guy had to leave(apparently helping silly girls try to get their door open isn't in their job description)so I was left there. An hour or so later, i found my work phone and called Devin on it. He called the manager and the manager came over to see what the problem was. He worked on that thing until 2:30 in the afternoon before he finally got the door off. Yup. He finally just took the door off its hinges. He found out that the little latch on the door handle was broken and that was why the door wouldn't open. So there ya go. Dev told me this whole situation reminded him of a Gold's Gym radio commercial where a guy(Arnold?) finds himself "locked inside of his car so he calls Onstar. I don't think that's funny ;) So that was my weekend. Good times had by all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Sounds like an exciting couple of days. Why did you move?

Jen said...

We wanted a bigger apartment. the one we were in was too small for comfort and we needed more room for our junk. The old apartment was quiet and good location, but it felt like I was living in a motel.

Katie and Randy said...

This is hilarious! I'm sure it was frustrating in the moment but too funny when you recap everything. Glad you guys can look back and laugh at the situation. did your manager put on a new door right away or were you doorless for a little while?

Matt and Kirsten said...

perhaps one of the funniest stories, but it almost makes me cry. I get so dang tired that the thought of that much exhaustion just hurts me.

Matt and Kirsten said...

one more thought... would the lock smith have cost much more than the hotel?