Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Krabby Patty

One of the great things I love about living in Oregon is experiencing the joy of living by the ocean. So many of our weekends have been excitingly spent with activities such as tidepool searching, beachcombing, campfires on the beach, kite flying, meandering walks, clamming, and even whale watching. Before we moved here, I had a few things in mind that I wanted to experience while we were living in the Northwest. This past weekend, I was able to accomplish one of those things: crabbing!
We rented a boat from this place near Tillamook,. They provide you with the boat,three rings(traps to catch the crab), bait, and a little bit of knowledge as to how to catch crab. And off we went.

Our first catch that we pulled in had about 5 crab in it! Not bad to start off with. We pulled the ring into the boat, and not knowing what we were doing, allowed the crab to escape from the ring. Bad idea! They starting getting away...in our boat! I was afraid to grab the crabs because of their insanely strong pinchers. They are seriously fast little suckers! I ran to the back of the boat(in panic) to sit with Tana and Eric had to help Dev gather up all the crab. After that, we all knew what to expect and we (I) was able to handle the next catch with a little bit more dignity :)

Between the 4 of us, we caught about 24 crab. Not bad for first timers!
Click Here for more crabbing pictures
*
*
*

5 comments:

Ruth Done said...

You guys are having sooooo many adventures! It was really fun to see you this summer. I'm trying to remember what my nephew Mason said about a size zero, but I can't. Can you?

Jen said...

Dang! I can't remember what he said. Something about how a girl that is a size zero is not good? I'd like to think that's what he said.

Seth and Sierra said...

how fun!! You always have such good ideas!

Reed Family said...

Wow! 24 crabs! What did you do with all of them?!? It looks like you guys had fun!

Unknown said...

That look like so much fun. Cold, but fun :)