Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmasing

Christmasing: The act of doing something Christmasy. Christmasing  involves Christmas lights, Christmas decorations, Christmas trees, Christmas music, Christmas candy…you get the picture. 

I love Christmas.  While I do love having a day of presents, it’s really the leading up to that day that I love the most.  All the talk about

Peace on Earth, good will towards men

just rubs off onto everyone and I love it... and I love the decorations. They make me happy and giddy.  

So now that Devin's finals are over (woohoo!), he is able to become more involved with me in the celebration of this wonderful time of year.  So his first night of freedom, he took me out Christmasing! We went to a mansion in Portland that was decked out for the holiday. I think the website said there were 2.5 million lights…We had hot cider and cake all while watching a piano recital in a gazebo on the grounds of this mansion.   They had a Christmas tree beautifully decorated in each of the rooms.

IMG_1635IMG_1641 IMG_1646

 IMG_1643

We also went to Pioneer Square downtown to see the big Christmas tree (no pictures as it was sort of a disappointment. Devin didn’t even notice it at first upon entering the Square). 

We also went to a fancy-shmancy hotel where they had a 75 pound gingerbread house…er…hotel on display.  

IMG_1649

Earlier in the week I went out Christmasing by myself and went to the Grotto for  The Festival of Lights to see Sierra sing (and see the lights).  I will be missing the lights on Temple Square this year, so I’m glad this was available.

Grotto

IMG_1629

IMG_1630

I’ve also had lots of time to sit in front of our Christmas tree and do one of my favorite things to do during this holiday season: turn on some soft Christmas music, turn out all the lights but the lights on the tree, and just bask in the glow.  I might even read a couple of Christmas stories while I’m at it :) It gives me time to contemplate the real reason why we celebrate this holiday and to think of the many blessing that I have been given because of Jesus Christ, who was born into this world to fulfill the plan of our Heavenly Father.  I am grateful for  His birth and His life, and ultimately for the sacrifice he made for me. I am thankful for the restoration of the gospel that has given me this  knowledge and the knowledge of a Heavenly Father who cares for me and takes care of my needs and wants.  I have no doubt that he knows who I am.  This is a time of hope, love, and miracles. Who can hate Christmasing!? 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That house is amazing!!! I bet their eletrical bill is EXPENSIVE! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Katie and Randy said...

great word...christmasing! that mansion is crazy. i'm sure the pictures don't even begin to do all of the lights justice. cute picture of you and sierra. and...thanks for sharing your thoughts. it's good to be reminded of what it's really all about.

Doodlecraft said...

Love Christmasing! Also love the cleverness of your vocabulary! Merry Christmas to you and Devin! Someday I will build an 80 pound gingerbread house...er...hotel!

Sierra said...

I love Christmasing too!!! :)
That mansion is...wow...WOW! that's all.
Thanks again for coming to see me!...and the lights! haha
See you in a few weeks!

Four Winns said...

Wow. I am so proud of you for getting that quote! Could you email me your address? Or send it to me on facebook. Love the Christmas pictures!