Monday, March 15, 2010

Everyone should have conversations with strangers

Today I started my day as any other typical working day. Get up, eat breakfast, and connect to the VPN of my work so I can get started on a sure-to-be amazing and exciting day of work bliss...only, this morning I couldn't connect. I tried over and over again and at one point restarted my internet thinking that was the problem. I tried calling into work only to get "I'm sorry, the number you have reached is not available." What the!? So being oh so lucky to work at the same company my dad does, I decided to give him a call to find out what was going on. I had his cell # pre-programmed into my work phone. Easy peasy. Only, he didn't answer. So I tried a few more co-workers numbers until I finally was able to talk to someone who explained what was going on. Good enough. Well, a few minutes later I got a call back from my "dad." So I answered the phone and he said hi and asked if I had called him. I answered affirmative and told him I called to find out what was gong on with the internet and all my work stuff, etc. He responded, "well I don't know what the problem is. A few of us here are going golfing right now because it's such great weather today. Maybe you should just take the day off and go enjoy being outside and get some exercise." Okaaaay, I thought that was a weird response. What about work? Isn't anyone working? Aren't they doing anything to try to fix the problem? They're just going to drop everything on a Monday morning and go golfing? So I said that I would love to go outside. We continued our conversation, he asked if I had anything to eat yet, I responded. He asked how I was feeling, I responded. I asked him a few questions, he answered back. Just a pretty typical question/answer type of conversation. Nothing too weird. We went on like that for 4 or 5 minutes. Finally, we got onto some topic and he said "well, don't you have a boyfriend or something you could go hang out with right now. It's still early evening." Wait, what? Early evening? Boyfriend? I finally clued in! This was not my dad! How could this be? It sounded like him, responded like he might respond (except for the whole golfing thing), laughed a little like him (I just though he had a cold or something). I had been talking to a complete stranger! I quickly realized my mistake and mumbled something like "well, guess I'm gonna get going. See ya" and hung up the phone. What had happened is that my dad had changed his cell # quite a while ago. I thought I had changed his number on my work phone, but noooooo I did not. So this stranger and I had quite a lovely conversation. Good times.

9 comments:

Dev said...

Lol! Good one jen... :)

Clyda and John said...

LOL! That has got to be the most hilarious thing I have heard in a while. Too funny. I am sure that totally made this guys day as well.

Four Winns said...

Nice. Cat does that with telemarketers or phone survey guys - except she does it on purpose. They LOVE it.

Matt and Kirsten said...

OH my word! I am trying not to wake up Matt as I laugh - That is hillarious!!!!

Anonymous said...

That is so awesome!!! lol!!!

Ruth Done said...

That's great!!!

Hillary said...

Way too funny!!!

Doodlecraft said...

Jen! Ha! I bet he posted his side of the story on his blog too! How funny!

Kristina said...

How bizarre! There must be a reason for it all. I bet you made his day, he's probably never had such a good conversation with his daugher and was the happiest man on the golf course!