Saturday, May 28, 2011

Keeping a Schedule

Devin has completed his first week at his first clinic site in Mount Vernon! Yay Dev! He is enjoying the people he is working with and is excited about all of the pathology he has seen so far. He said on his first day at the clinic, he saw more pathology in the eight hours he was there than he ever saw in the clinic at Pacific. So he’s learning a ton. The one downside is that all of his co-workers are pretty big Seattle Sounders fans (that’s the pro soccer team for all of you lost souls out there). But I just know he’ll stay strong and stick to his morals. Go RSL….and GO DEVIN!!!
And as Devin has been working from 8 to 5, I’ve been left home to fend for myself ,trying to figure out my new routine. You need to understand that although it was (is) grueling at times to have Devin in school, I did get to see him sporadically throughout the day. He’d always come home for lunch and sometimes he’d be home at 2 or 3 and some days wouldn’t have class until 10. This schedule worked for me as I got to see him more during the day. But now. He leaves at 7 and doesn’t get home until about 6:15. Like I said, I’m left home to fend for myself trying to get used to this new routine. So I’ve picked up a new activity. Exercise. What?!
I recently acquired a fantastic double running stroller. Love it.  I don’t really run with though. Not yet. I’m still working up to walking while pushing the 40+ lbs of precious cargo that is in it.  It doesn’t sound like much, but slight hills and inclines can be quite a workout while pushing that much poundage. Anyways….I’ve added walking into  my daily schedule. I think the boys are okay with it. They haven’t said anything that would make me think otherwise, so I guess it works for them too. On one of the routes I take, there’s a hill with a beautiful view. IMG_0609

It’s about a 5 min walk from my house. You can barely see it, but there’s a lake. I didn’t want to stand in the middle of the street so this is the best view I got.  It’s beautiful, you’ll have to take my word for it. However, the view from the bottom of the hill isn’t so nice:
IMG_0617
I’m sure it’s about a 99% incline. And it’s my only way back home. All I can say is that it is…breathtaking! HAHA. ba-dump-ching! But then again, the view at the bottom of the hill looking the other direction is lovely:
IMG_0612

IMG_0616

This little dock surrounds a swimming area. It has a small sandy beach and picnic tables. So fun! Hopefully I’ll be able to come here as the weather get’s warmer.
I’m still trying to figure out some things to do here to keep me (and the boys) busy, but I did find a Kohl’s about 10 minutes away. Neat.

And in other news. I was feeding Nate and Cam some crackers the other day and noticed something:
IMG_0619IMG_0620

It’s hard to tell in these pictures, but look at the difference in their tray’s. Cameron’s (top) is very clean, hardly any crumb. Nathan’s on the other hand is full of crumb pieces (he’d even began eating some of the crumbs at the point I took this picture) and he slams his hands up and down on his tray throughout his meal. Cameron eats like a squirel and brings his food to his mouth and nibbles bits off until it is finished. Nathan eats his food by the fistful, not getting it fast enough and most of the time crushing it to bits. Anyways, it just goes to show ya how different these boys are in so many ways!!! 
IMG_0635IMG_0543

One more thing to share. Today we were at the grocery store with the boys in their stroller and all of a sudden some lady from behind, yelled out  asked “What’s wrong with him?” referring to Nathan who was wearing his helmet. We turned around looking a little confused so she said again (as she POINTED) “Yeah, what’s wrong with him? Why’s he wearing that?” She’s lucky I had restraint. What’s wrong with him?! What’s wrong with him? What’s wrong with you lady!! Devin kindly said, “Nothing’s wrong with him. He just had a flat head so it’s fixing it.” I would have answered her differently, but that’s why I’m glad I’m married to Devin. He’s a good man.
Anyways, I had to share…mostly because I want confirmation from my readership acknowledging what a Looney she was….and maybe because it’ll help me let it go…..which is what I should do anyways….but first I had to share  :)

8 comments:

Sierra said...

Seriously, who does that? Devin is definitely a good guy to react the way he did.
Pretty lake!! I'm sure with the cargo you've got to push your arms are going to look a-maz-ing at the end of the summer! :)
OH! I just remembered I still have to get you that workout...it may have to wait until I can actually do those moves again. I hope that's okay with you.

Kristina said...

That's awesome you're walking, go Jen! I'm still sitting on my rump. I was feeling encouraged, like maybe I should excersize too, until I saw that picture of the hill you walk up every day. You're awesome. What a nice lake, you're luck to have that so close. I'm glad Devin is enjoying his first rotation.
I cannot believe that woman asked you that. I would expect my 5 year old to blurt something like that out, not a grown woman. It's hard to respond to people like that, sounds like devin handled it well.
Miss you!

The Boys Rule said...

Jen, my sister was at the Walmarts with her twins and some old hag walked by, looked at the girls and said, "What a mistake." Can you believe that? My sister was very ticked, she tracked her down and gave her the what for. She told her that they were not a mistake, but a huge blessing and their family would not be complete without them; she also told the lady that she seriously lacked social skills to walk up to a stranger and make a rude comment like that!

Ruth Done said...

I wish you would have asked her what was wrong with her. What a dweeb! (Yes, I just said "dweeb") Your boys couldn't be cuter. It looks gorgeous where you are.

Matt and Kirsten said...

She is a looney! I might expect that from a kindergartner, but really?????

Luke and Lora Gamble said...

Jen I agree with you... There is a nice way and a rude way to ask a question and she did not pick the right one. Also, your boys are adorable!

Reed Family said...

I love reading your posts, Jen. You are so witty!

Good job excersizing! I've just started up lately and my endurance throughout the day has changed dramatically! I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

That lady is incredible...glad you had Devin there. I would have given her an earful!

Glad the 1st rotation is goin' well!

Katie and Randy said...

oh Jen you make me laugh. Love the way you write! Good job keeping up the exercising, let the wedding countdown continue :)
i just love the picture of cameron. i mean, nathan is adorable as well but the smile on camerons face is so dang cute.
and the silly lady at the store definitely has more than a few screws loose!