Saturday, November 19, 2011

Men In Tights

On Thursday night, I was able to go see my niece Liza perform in the Nutcracker ballet. A local ballet studio puts it on every year and I love it!  It’s a great kick-off to the holiday season.  Most of the cast is made up of the young ballet students but it also includes a few more professional dancers from Ballet West ( Utah’s big ballet company), which I think is pretty darn cool for these little aspiring dancers to be able to perform with these professionals.  I have to say that the ballet can sometimes be a bit slow but I realize how impressive their abilities are!  And I don’t know what it was--my old age, wacky hormones, my new found maturity(ha!), or the way-too-hot auditorium—but for some reason I got quite emotional when those professionals performed. And no, it wasn’t the fact that the dudes were wearing tights.  It is incredible to see the skills that these people have. And mix that in with a live orchestra playing fantastic music. Beautiful. 

The man and women in the middle were from Ballet West.  I was sitting on the back row and I could see the muscles in their legs. Whoa!
IMG_2194
During my favorite part I forgot to take pictures because I was caught up in the moment (look up Nutcracker Pas de deux sometime in youtube. Amazing) but here is a pic from another favorite part of mine. Somehow there are 8 little kids stuffed under the skirt. 
IMG_2200IMG_2202

IMG_2205
And here is my niece (with her cheese smile). What a cute little dancer she is. She was a pink baby mouse and did a fantastic job!
IMG_2210IMG_2223

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adorable. and, I love the Nutcracker. I was able to take my kindergarten class to it last year and they loved it. I was surprised that they were so attentive and appreciated what they had seen.

Ruth Done said...

Seriously, I cry every time I watch The Nutcracker. I always think of Kirst and how hard she worked to be such a great dancer:)

Matt and Kirsten said...

I cry everytime too. It was amazing!

Doodlecraft said...

I took Hailee too! So fun. I just thought of you and me going to support Kirsten! (and quite possibly cheering loudly for her...) :)